Iowa’s top tenderloin contest is getting underway

first_imgDES MOINES — Iowa’s thousands of restaurants have been closed for a full month by the pandemic, with some offering only carry-out and delivery, yet an annual contest to name the state’s top breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is still on.Kelsey Sutter, spokeswoman for the Iowa Pork Producers Association, says they wrestled with the idea. “We talked about whether or not we should postpone this contest, if we should wait until later in the year when restaurants are able to open their doors again,” Sutter says. “The more we thought about it, the more we wanted to move forward and provide as much love and encouragement — via social media — that we can to restaurants across the state. We know that they’re hurting.”Sutter says they’re rewriting the contest rules this year to include all eateries, even the hundreds that may not reopen once the pandemic clears.  “Whether a restaurant is open right now doing take-out or not, we want people to nominate their favorite tenderloin,” Sutter says. “Everyone remembers what they taste like. If they offer take-out, go order it, go get your favorite tenderloin to go, and then get on IowaPork.org and give them a nomination.”The deadline to submit an entry is June 6th. “We don’t need to physically start the judging until we get our top 40 which is July 1,” Sutter says, ” so we’re pretty confident and we’re hoping that restaurants will be in full swing by July 1.”The winner will be announced in mid-October during Iowa Pork Month. Last year’s winner was The Pub at the Pinicon in New Hampton.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Driver, nieces remain hospitalised

first_imgHighway fatal accidentDead: Tessa Telford IbrahimTwenty-three-year-old Maisha Ibrahim, driver of ill-fated motorcar PNN 3987 that was involved in a fatal accident at Moblissa, Linden/Soesdyke Highway last Saturday, remains hospitalised at the Linden Hospital Complex (LHC); as does her 7-year-old niece Roshanna MacFarlane. Nine-year-old Patricia McFarlane, Maisha’s other niece who had been involved in the accident, remains a patient at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC). They are all said to be in stable condition.All residents of Lot 119 Highway Boulevard, Amelia’s Ward, Linden, they were involved in an accident which claimed the lives of Maisha’s aunt, Tessa Telford Ibrahim, a 60-year-old seamstress, and her son Marlon McFarlane, 30, who had been an employee of Guyana Goldfields and a former member of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF).Marlon McFarlaneAutopsy examinations of the two deceased are expected to be conducted on Wednesday.Reports are the family was returning to Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) on Saturday at about 15:30h when the accident occurred at the Moblissa Bridge on the Soesdyke/Linden Highway.Guyana Times was told that Maisha Ibrahim lost control of the motorcar after it reportedly dropped into a pothole and swerved to the opposite side of the road. The vehicle then ran into a ditch, and came to a halt after colliding with a tree. Following the incident, public spirited persons rushed the family to the LHC, where the seamstress and her son were pronounced dead on arrival. Police have since launched an investigation into the accident.Commander Anthony Vanderhyden along with ranks from the ‘E’ Division (Linden-Kwakwani) visiting injured Roshanna MacFarlane at the LHC on MondayMeanwhile, ‘E’ Division (Linden-Kwakwani) Commander, Anthony Vanderhyden, and Second in Command, Inspector S. Massay, on Monday paid a visit to the injured at the LHC. The officers were accompanied by Pastor Duke of the Police COPS and Faith organisation and others. Pastor Duke and the Divisional Commander offered prayers and words of comfort to the victims.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Team Koe curling clinic tomorrow

first_imgOn Tuesday, January 24, young curlers will have the chance to get some advice from the pros during the clinic from 4 – 6 p.m. and afterwards during a dinner and meet and greet from 6 – 7 p.m. he event is sponsored by Talisman. Junior curlers from Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope, along with their parents, curling club member, Talisman employees and participants’ families are all welcome to the Curling Club. The clinic is free and food and drinks afterwards are available by donation. All proceeds raised through the event will go towards local junior curling programs. For more information on the clinic, contact the Fort St. John Curling Club at 250-785-2037.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Continue Reading

Man United close to £30m deal, Koeman wants Chelsea job and Wenger to sign new Arsenal deal?

first_imgHere are the latest transfer stories from the papers at home and abroad…Manchester United have moved closer to signing midfield sensation Renato Sanches after further talks in London on Friday. The 18-year-old Benfica ace has a buy-out clause of nearly £60million but United are negotiating hard and the deal is expected to be around £30m, with add-ons. (Daily Mail)United boss Louis van Gaal also wants to raid Southampton for Ryan Bertrand before deadline day. The Manchester United boss is desperate to sign a full-back next week with Luke Shaw sidelined long-term and Ashley Young out for two months. However, Southampton won’t sell Bertrand for any less than £20million (The Sun)Liverpool are considering raising their €32m (£24.6m) bid for Alex Teixeira. Shakhtar want €50m for the Brazilian forward and believe keeping the player until the end of the season, when more clubs will be in the market, would help secure that sum. But the Reds are ready to step up their interest this month. (Guardian)Chelsea have cooled on the idea of appointing Diego Simeone as their new boss and have now made Max Allegri their top target. The Blues contacted the Juventus coach and his representatives at the start of this month as Roman Abramovich gets serious about their boss hunt. Abramovich is willing to offer Allegri around £6million a year — more than double his Juve salary. (The Sun)But Ronald Koeman is hoping to get the Chelsea job ahead of Allegri. The Southampton boss has revealed on Dutch radio he wants fellow countryman Guus Hiddink to back him to take charge at Stamford Bridge. (Daily Mirror)Chelsea have approached Paris Saint-Germain over a potential deal for their 31-year-old centre-back Thiago Silva this summer. (Tuttomercatoweb)Arsene Wenger is ready to commit his future to the Arsenal job. Wenger has so far refused to make a public declaration about his intentions with under 18 months left on his current Gunners deal. But with Arsenal within striking distance of their first title triumph since 2004, the Frenchman’s appetite for the long haul is understood to have been rekindled. (The Sun)Arsenal have made a fresh bid to sign Leicester teenager Ben Chilwell. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger wants to get the deal done in this window rather than risk losing the highly-rated left-back, who is also a target for Liverpool and Manchester City. Arsenal had a £3m bid turned down last summer but are back in again as they look to bolster their squad. (Daily Mirror)Premier League suitors may have to splash over £75MILLION to sign Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski this summer. Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with a move for the Polish hotshot — while a potential reunion with outgoing Bayern boss Pep Guardiola at Manchester City has also been mooted. But Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain believe the in-form frontman will be the perfect replacement for outgoing icon Zlatan Ibrahimovic and are ready to pay £75m. (The Sun)Patrick Roberts could be sent out on loan as Manchester City consider their plans for the starlet. The 18-year-old – a summer signing from Fulham – has made just three substitute appearances this season. (Manchester Evening News)Crystal Palace will have to pay Emmanuel Adebayor £77,000-a-week if they want to sign him this month. The Togo striker, 31, left Tottenham in September after being frozen out by Mauricio Pochettino. But his contract does not expire until the summer, meaning Spurs are still paying his wages. (Daily Mirror)Tottenham outcast Andros Townsend is no closer to ending his troubled time at White Hart Lane despite interest from Watford and West Bromwich Albion after owner Daniel Levy refused to budge on his £14m asking price for the wantaway winger. (Independent)And here are the latest transfer tales from talkSPORT.com…Sergio Aguero reveals he is still attempting to lure Lionel Messi to Manchester City Marseille continue discussions with Chelsea and Newcastle over Betrand Traore and Florian Thauvin Roma nearing deal to sign Bournemouth target Stephan El Shaarawy on loan Former QPR and Tottenham flop Adel Taarabt set for sensational AC Milan return West Brom boss Tony Pulis says club are yet to receive January bid for Saido Berahino Roberto Martinez insists key trio Romelu Lukaku, Ross Barkley and John Stones will not leave Arsenal and Liverpool target dismisses claims he is about to leave Ajax Everton and Manchester City target Alessio Cerci signs for Serie A side Genoa Napoli ready to increase offer for Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko 1 Transfer rumours and paper review last_img read more

Continue Reading

DONEGAL HOME-HELP WORKERS HIT JACKPOT WITH BACK-PAY WINDFALLS

first_imgUp to 200 home-help workers across Donegal have received an unexpected windfall after the HSE issued back-dated pay-hikes.Some of the workers have received an additional €2,000 in their paycheques which were lodged last night.The payments relate to 25 cent increases per hour pay increments which the workers should have been awarded in recent years. In many cases the back-pay goes back to more than five years.The HSE examined the issue and found the workers were due to increases and backdated the pay.Donegal county councillor Michael McBride, who has made representations on the issue in recent months, said he was delighted the backpay had been made.“I am delighted and it is only right that these workers get their pay increments which they are entitled to. “I am not sure of the exact number but I am informed it could mean a nice bonus to up to 200 HSE workers – the majority of which are home-help employees.“I am still trying to get all the relevant information form the HSE but the most important thing is that these workers have received the payments which is rightfully theirs,” he told Donegal Daily. DONEGAL HOME-HELP WORKERS HIT JACKPOT WITH BACK-PAY WINDFALLS was last modified: April 13th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Michael McBridehome-help workersHSElast_img read more

Continue Reading

GARDA REVEAL REPLICA GUNS STILL MISSING AS BURGLAR GETS FIVE YEARS

first_imgGardai caught a gun thief after he dropped a cigarette butt at the scene of a daring heist in which 20 high-tech replica guns were stolen.The theft of the guns from the Donegal Airsoft gun range in Newtowncunningham in August 2010 sent shockwaves through the local Garda force.The weapon haul included seven Tauras pistols – almost exact replicas used by the emergency response unit across the country. Gardai feared the guns were going to be sold to the highest bidder and used in robberies and other subversive crimes.Details of the burglary were given at Letterkenny Circuit Court as Robert Orr faced charges in connection with the incident.The court heard how Orr, 24, of Gaeltex, Oldtown, Letterkenny and two other men used a sledge hammer to smash their way into the premises on the night of August 23rd, 2010.Garda Sergeant Michael Galvin told the court how smoking was strictly banned at the premises because gas was used in the guns.He said Gardai could trace the cigarette butt found back to Orr and also revealed that hidden CCTV cameras showed footage of Orr in which he was very recognisable.A distinctive tattoo of a scorpion on his neck also singled the accused out.Acting ion information Gardai tracked Orr to an address at Glenwood Park in Letterkenny where they discovered a number of white pellets used with airsoft guns outside the home of a relative of Orr.Orr arrived in a taxi and was arrested by Gardai but was completely unco-operative and denied all knowledge of the robbery.A follow-up operation uncovered 13 of the stolen guns from an attic in a derelict house in St Johnston a couple of days later.Garda Galvin, a former detective, said they were relieved to find the weapons which were valued at €5,184.“These pistols (the Tauras) are almost identical to the real thing. I was ten years with special branch and if that weapon was pointed at me I would be taking a certain course of action,” admitted Sgt Galvin.He also revealed that a number of the weapons are still unaccounted for and also that one was used in another robbery.Garda Galvin said that despite being interviewed a number of times, father-of-three Orr has refused to say where the remaining weapons are.Defence barrister Fiona Crawford said her client simply did not know where the other replica weapons are now.Judge John O’Hagan said that up until now Orr’s previous offences are for ‘run of the mill’ crimes such as no insurance and public order.“This one is a biggie – a big, big offence and it is recognised as carrying a 14 year sentence by the Oireachtas,” he said.He added that these replica weapons are the same as the real things to any unsuspecting person such as a postmistress or someone working in a bank or a supermarket.“To be confronted by someone with one of these would be a harrowing experience and they would not know it would be anything other than the real thing,” he said.Judge O’Hagan also heard how Orr also viciously assaulted another man with a wooden stick at a flat in Letterkenny on July 5th last while out on bail.He sentenced Orr to three years for the burglary and another two years for the assault and ordered the sentences to run consecutively meaning Orr was sentenced to five years in jail.AT HEARING © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comGARDA REVEAL REPLICA GUNS STILL MISSING AS BURGLAR GETS FIVE YEARS was last modified: November 10th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burglaryDonegal AirsoftGardaiRobert Orrlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Terrorist no more

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BETWEEN the constant terrorist attacks and the horrible allegations that have come out of Haditha, the news out of Iraq has been dispiriting for a long time. And now the world’s public enemy No. 2, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has been brought to justice under the force of two 500-pound bombs, courtesy of the U.S. Air Force. Although victories in the War on Terror have been elusive, this one is huge a tremendous credit to America’s intelligence gatherers and our military. Zarqawi, head of al-Qaida in Iraq, was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent civilians. He is believed to have personally beheaded Americans Nicholas Berg and Eugene Armstrong. And he was the brains behind the murderous Iraqi insurgency that has devastated that country. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2 Iraq and the world are now better places without him, as well his aides including spiritual adviser Sheik Abdul Rahman who also perished in the U.S. attack. The terrorism in Iraq, and elsewhere, will no doubt continue. But with Zarqawi eliminated, we can hope that perhaps Iraq is one step closer to peace, and that the U.S. one step closer to victory.last_img read more

Continue Reading

MIXED FORTUNES FOR KILLYBEGS STAR COLEMAN

first_imgIt has been a night of mixed fortunes for Donegal soccer star Seamus Coleman.SEAMUS COLEMANThe Killybegs player has been short-listed in the FAI Young Player of the Year Award.But on the pitch, Coleman has been given a scare. The former Sligo Rovers player was forced to limp off for Everton in their game Premiership game against Southampton last night.It is still unclear as to the extent of his injury.MIXED FORTUNES FOR KILLYBEGS STAR COLEMAN was last modified: January 22nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

Juventus star keen on £30million Chelsea transfer

first_img Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing Daniele Rugani is keen to make the move to Chelsea this summer.The defender is attracting interest from the Blues and they have added him to their summer shopping list. WHITE KNIGHT LIVING THE DREAM Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade RANKED REAL DEAL ‘perfect fit” Chelsea have watched Leeds ace ‘perfect for Premier League football’ regularly IN DEMAND GOSSIP Euro expert explains why Liverpool should be so excited about Minamino heading off 1center_img Zlatan Ibrahimovic in ‘advanced talks’ to complete Premier League comeback three-way race Latest transfer news Chelsea want to sign a new centre-back this summer and they believe they can land the 23-year-old.Rugani is still not a regular at Juventus but Chelsea are prepared to cough up £30million to get him.The Blues are promising the Italy international first-team football and, according to CalcioNews24, he is keen on the switch. Arsenal ace heading for January exit as German club ready bid for midfielder Juventus star Daniele Rugani in action for Italy. Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star take zlat Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Man United ‘miss out’ on Minamino, West Ham scout Flamengo strikers, Auba wants out Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Rugani made only 26 appearances in all competitons for Juventus last season and unless that changes he is ready to leave.talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network.last_img read more

Continue Reading