Northern Strikers earn three medals at provincials

first_imgThe Fort St. John Northern Strikers were out at a number of tournaments in Alberta last weekend. Eight clubs ranging from under 12 to under 18 were at indoor provincials with three coming away with medals.The Tier 3 U16 girls were the big winners of the group coming away with a gold medal. The Tier 3 U18 girls and Tier 4 U12 boys earned themselves bronze medals.Other results had the Tier 2 U18 boys, and the Tier 4 U16 boys finish fifth, the Tier 4 U14 girls took sixth, the Tier 3 U14 boys came away with an 11th place finish, and the Tier 4 U12 girls had an eighth place finish.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Continue Reading

BREAKING: Accident closes Demerara Harbour Bridge until further notice

first_imgThe Demerara Harbour Bridge Company (DHBC), early this morning, announced that a tug and barge crashed into a section of the bridge resulting in severe damages to the structure.The incident occurred between 01:30h – 02:00h and has forced the DHBC to close the bridge until further notice.The closure of the bridge comes on the first day of the new school year and is expected to affect thousands of commuters. The only alternative for crossing the Demerara River is by using the Georgetown – Vreed en Hoop Speedboat Service.More details in the Tuesday, September 02, 2019 edition of the Guyana Times.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Boy-woman guilty of molesting

first_imgEVERETT, Wash. – A woman who posed as a homeless orphaned boy, befriended a teenage girl and was taken into her family’s home has pleaded guilty to child molestation. Prosecutors said they will seek the maximum one-year jail term for Lorelei J. Corpuz, 30, who entered her plea Wednesday. Charges of third-degree child rape were dropped last month. Authorities said Corpuz, who cropped her hair and stands 5feet3 inches tall, passed herself off as 17-year-old Mark Villanueva after meeting the girl at a mall in September 2005. Her parents, immigrants who speak little English, later let Corpuz live at their home. The deception became known after a traffic stop led to Corpuz’s arrest on an unrelated warrant. The girl was in the car and told police that Corpuz was her boyfriend, according to documents filed in court. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Although Corpuz had sexual contact with the girl, “the suspect never let victim see her/his private parts and victim always thought that suspect was male until officer informed her otherwise,” Officer Don de Nevens wrote. The girl also said Corpuz beat her and bit her twice on the back, leaving a scar. After serving her sentence, Corpuz must register as a sex offender, and she remains under investigation for fraud and other sex offenses, including accusations in Kitsap County that closely resemble the Everett case, authorities said. In that case, detectives looked into whether Corpuz had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old Bremerton girl three years ago.last_img read more

Continue Reading

State halts case against young man accused of €126,000 arson attack

first_imgA case against a young Letterkenny man charged with arson of an apartment block has been halted after a representation by the Director of Public Prosecutions.Sean Strain of Ros Suighle, Oldtown, had faced one charge of arson at Westside Apartments at Lower Main Street on November 25th, 2014. 21 year old Mr. Strain had always denied the charges.The trial at Letterkenny Circuit Court heard evidence from a resident at the flats complex.Martin Toye told the court how he and his aunt, Kathleen Gibbons, had been in his top-floor apartment in the afternoon of November 25th when the fire broke out.Ms Gibbons thought Martin was smoking but he said he was not and went to check where the smell of smoke was coming from.When he went into the hallway of the apartment complex he was overcome with thick smoke.He went back into the apartment and he said he began to cry because he did not think there was a way out.However, firemen had managed to reach Martin and his aunt with a crane and rescued them from the complex.They were the only people in the ten apartment complex at the time.George Wilkin of Westside Management Ltd, the owners of the complex said a large amount of smoke damage had been caused to the complex, as well as damage to wiring and intercoms.The total amount of damage was €126,000 and there had been insurance but no settlement had yet been reached.After lengthy legal argument, prosecuting barrister Ms. Patricia McLaughlin said she had been given directions by the DPP to enter a Nolle prosequi which means they were “unwilling to pursue.”This is a phrase used criminal prosecution contexts to describe a prosecutor’s decision to voluntarily discontinue criminal charges either before trial or before a verdict is rendered.State halts case against young man accused of €126,000 arson attack was last modified: December 12th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arsondonegalDPPletterkennySean StrainWITHDRAWlast_img read more

Continue Reading

LETTERKENNY ATHLETIC CLUB NOTES

first_imgPRIDE of place this week goes to both Peter Gibbons and Irene McFadden after outstanding performances over the weekend.Peter, was on the Irish Schools Team that won a bronze medal in Scotland. Meanwhile, the ever improving Irene was the first woman home in the final race in the Finn Valley 5k Series on Friday night.Irene, ran 20.30 and on this form is on course to break the magical 20 minute barrier soon. Gerard McGranaghan was the first clubman across the line in a time of 17.26 to finsh in 12th place ahead of Humphry Murphy (13th-17.28), Marcus McClintock (14th-17.34), Garvan McCloskey (29th-18.51) and Richard Raymond (57th-20.27). Provisional Results from Omagh Half Marathon were 14th Paul McGlinchey 77:04, 20th Charlie Page 78:52, 27th Barry Meehan 79:26, 97th Adrian Callaghan 87:11, 149th Kieron Coyle 90:38, 202nd Garvan McCloskey 93:46, 340th Noel Lynch 99:32, 512nd Margaret Shields 1:44:28.The club will host our annual Easter 3k road race on Sunday. Entries from10 am at Aura Leisure Centre. Contact : 00353 868113947 or email herbielac@gmail.com LETTERKENNY ATHLETIC CLUB NOTES was last modified: April 2nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny Athletic Club noteslast_img read more

Continue Reading

CYCLING: DONEGAL BAY CYCLING CLUB NEWS

first_imgCongratulations to Damien Foley of Donegal Bay CC who placed 5th in the West Coast Wheelers A4 race in Loughrea at the weekend.Damien (pictured) was strong throughout the tough hilly course and managed to be up there for the sprint at the finish, well done.In the main race of the day Ted Mc Caffrey rode a good race and finished safely in the main bunch. A good day for both riders in their first race of the season. CYCLING: DONEGAL BAY CYCLING CLUB NEWS was last modified: February 25th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CYCLING: DONEGAL BAY CYCLING CLUB NEWSlast_img read more

Continue Reading

GARDAI CONFIRM THEY ARE TREATING DEATH OF CHURCHILL MAN AS SUSPICIOUS

first_imgGardai say they are now treating the death of a man in Churchill as suspicious.Gardai are looking for witnesses who may have seen Mr Callaghan alive.The body of 50 year old Kieran Callaghan was found at his home in the Roshin area of Churchill on Sunday afternoon.At first it was thought he died of natural causes but the scene was preserved for an investigation. State Pathologist Marie Cassidy carried out a post mortem on the dead man’s body today.As a result of her findings, Gardai say they are now treating Mr Callaghan’s death as suspicious.They have appealed for anyone who may have seen Mr Callaghan in the Letterkenny or Churchill area on Friday to come forward.The father-of-four was a part-time farmer who also worked at Glenveagh National Park. It is understood Mr Callaghan may have suffered a head injury before he was found dead at his home.Further tests are to be carried out on the body.A short time ago, a Garda spokesman said: “Gardai are appealing to the public in tracing the whereabouts and last movements of Kieran Callaghan from Roshin, Milford, Co. Donegal between Thursday the 4/07/13 and Sunday the 7/07/13 at 1.30pm. He was last seen in the Churchill area of Letterkenny at approximately 6pm on the 5/07/13. Kieran is described as being 5’10” in height with grey hair and of thin build.“Anyone with information or who can assist with the investigation is asked to contact Milford Garda Station on 074-9153060, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.”  GARDAI CONFIRM THEY ARE TREATING DEATH OF CHURCHILL MAN AS SUSPICIOUS was last modified: July 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading

GRANDAD: WE HAVE NO BAD FEELINGS TOWARDS DRIVER WHO KNOCKED DOWN JOSHUA

first_imgThe grandfather of toddler Joshua Coyle says he holds nothing against the man who killed his grandson.Tragic Joshua Coyle who was killed on Friday.Heartbroken Alan Coyle told Donegal Daily his family understand the pain the man is going through and want him to come to little Joshua’s funeral.The 22 months old toddler died after he was struck by a van at his home at Crieve Glebe, Letterkenny at 6.45pm on Friday evening. Alan, 60, revealed the driver is a friend of the family and that Joshua and his brothers were excited by his arrival.“They would have been excited as he often brought them sweets. He’s a close friend of the family for as long as I can remember.“It was a complete accident and we hold no ill will against this man. He is suffering his own pain too.“He is part of the grieving process and we hope very much that he will attend little Joshua’s funeral,” said Alan. He also revealed that the dead boy’s older brother Alexander, 4, was only feet from the van when it struck Joshua.“He saw it all and we are trying to help him now. I don’t want to think about what could have happened if he was any closer,” he added.Alan described Joshua as a beautiful child who was beginning to leave his baby years behind him.“He was starting to become a little boy and he was starting to leave his baby years behind him. He was full of life and was beginning to play with his older brother Alexander’s toys including his little battery car.“It’s just so sad. The whole family is just devastated but we are a very close family. Joshua’s mum and dad Suzanna and Alex are his three brothers Alexander, Rohan and Sean are trying their best to cope. “But we’re here for them and they know they are not alone,” he added.Alan paid tribute to the Gardai and to the staff of Letterkenny General Hospital where little Joshua passed away on Friday evening.“I can’t say enough good things about these people. The Gardai were as professional as anybody could ask for.“And the staff in the hospital from the porters, to the nurses to the doctors tried to make us feel as comfortable as we could in the circumstances. We just want to thank them all,” he said. A full investigation has been carried out into Joshua’s death by a team of Garda Forensics experts.A post mortem was also carried out on Joshua at Letterkenny General Hospital on Saturday afternoon and his remains were then taken to the family home to be waked.Large number of mourners have already been attending the home which is located in a quiet country area on the outskirts of Letterkenny.Joshua will be buried at Conwal Graveyard in Letterkenny after midday funeral mass at St. Eunan’s Cathedral on Tuesday.GRANDAD: WE HAVE NO BAD FEELINGS TOWARDS DRIVER WHO KNOCKED DOWN JOSHUA was last modified: September 29th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Alan CoyledonegaldriverJoshua Coyleknocked downletterkennyvanlast_img read more

Continue Reading

GLENSWILLY BOY RACER WAS DOING HANDBRAKE TURNS IN TESCO CAR PARK

first_imgA GLENSWILLY man who was doing handbrake turns in the car park of Tesco in Letterkenny has appeared in court on dangerous driving charges.Daniel McDaid, from Dooen Glebe in Newmills, was caught by gardai just after 11pm on May 5 this year.The court was told there were around ten customers coming and going out of Tesco at the time. Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said McDaid was ‘extremely remorseful’ after the incident.“He is also being asked serious questions at home over his actions on the night,” said Mr Gallagher.Judge Paul Kelly ordered McDaid to attend the pro-social safer driving course and adjourned sentence until July.GLENSWILLY BOY RACER WAS DOING HANDBRAKE TURNS IN TESCO CAR PARK was last modified: May 18th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:handbrake turnsletterkennytescolast_img read more

Continue Reading

Ntini tops SA sporting pops

first_img20 November 2006Cricket has no shortage of support among SA fans, according to the 2006 BMI Junior Sporttrack survey, which ranks sports, and sportsmen and women, for their popularity among South Africans between the ages of 13 and 18.According to the survey, cricket is the only sport in the country to feature in the top three most popular across all race groups. And bowler Makhaya Ntini is a massive hit with the country’s teenagers.BMI Junior Sporttrack ranks Ntini as South Africa’s most popular sportsperson among 13- to 18-year-olds, up from third place in 2005 – ahead of soccer players Jabu Mahlangu (formerly Pule), Benni McCarthy and Lucas Radebe. Another cricketer, Shaun Pollock, is fifth in the rankings.Most marketable sportsperson in SAThe results reflect that Ntini is probably the most marketable sportsperson in South Africa – in the 2005 BMI Adult Sporttrack survey, he came in at number one.Interestingly, his ascension to number one in the survey among SA’s teenagers marks the first time the top position has been held by a non-soccer player.Since the retirement of fast bowler Allan Donald, and as Shaun Pollock moves towards the end of his test playing days, Ntini has been called on to shoulder more of the load for the Proteas who, since their return to international cricket, have traditionally produced a strong pace bowling attack – and he has succeeded brilliantly.Second in test rankingsNtini is currently ranked second in the test bowling rankings, trailing only Sri Lankan superstar Muttiah Muralitharan, and 10 places clear of Pollock, who is the second highest rated South African bowler.In one-day international cricket, he also shows up well, holding down ninth place in the rankings.Pollock is top of the pile in the limited-overs game, well clear of Australian Glenn McGrath in second spot.The ginger-haired Kwazulu-Natalian was also the only sportsperson to be voted in the top 10 most popular across all race groups in the BMI Junior Sporttrack survey.When the numbers are extended to include the top 20, Ntini, swimmer Ryk Neethling and soccer player Benni McCarthy all feature.Across all race groups, cricket is the only sport to feature in the top three. Overall, it is the second most popular sport after soccer, with rugby in third place and athletics in fourth spot.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Continue Reading